- Which type of pulses can be grown in Pothowar region?
- What is the proper time of sowing for the different pulses crops?
- How can we get better yields from pulses?
- Which weedicide is suitable for chemical control of broad leaves and narrow leaves weeds of wheat crop?
- Can we grow all types of fruit plants in Pothowar area?
- What is the proper time of plantation for the fruit plants?
- Can we get the fruit plants from any nursery?
- Can other crops be grown within the fruit orchar?
- What is the cause of fruit splitting?
- Why fertilizer is important for crop growth?
- What is balanced fertilization?
- What are the sources of NPK?
- What is Soil fertility?
- Why Soil analysis is important?
- How to store moisture in soil?
- Why do a huge amount of flowers drop without fruit setting?
- Some times the plants bloom but there is no fruit setting. Why?
- Why do the young fruits drop from the tree?
- What are the moisture conservation methods in Barani areas?
- What is the best time of fertilizer application in Barani areas?
- What are new crops for Barani areas?
- What is the best time sowing of wheat crop in Barani area?
- Is there new variety of wheat for Barani areas?
- What is the best method of sowing of crops in Barani areas?
- What is the best time of sowing of gram in Barani areas?
- What is the best time of fertilizer application of any crop in Barani areas?
- What are recommended new varities of groundnut?
- What is the potential and average yield of recommended varities?
- What is the seed rate of groundnut crop?
- Which soil is suitable for groundnut cultivation?
- What is the best time for sowing?
- What is the recommended depth of seed, plant to plant and row to row distance?
- What is recommended fertilizer doses?
- When gypsum should be applied?
- What is the remedy of hairy caterpillar?
- Which weedicides are best for groundnut?
- How land should be prepared for wheat sowing ?
- What is optimum time of sowing for rainfed wheat?
- What is best method of sowing for rainfed wheat?
- What is optimum seed rate for rainfed wheat cultivation?
- What are recommended wheat varities in rainfed area of Punjab?
- How we can save from Kernal Bunt or other seed borne diseases?
- What are possible measures to eradicate weeds from wheat field?
- What are wheat diseases and their control?
|Chickpea, Lentil and Mash can successfully be grown in this region.|
|Chickpea and lentil are generally sown from 25 Sept.- 15 Oct. Sowing time for mash crop is whole month of July.|
|Where from we can get the seed of pulses?||Top|
|Seed of the recommended varieties of chickpea, lentil and mash is available during the sowing season at Barani Agricultural Research Institute, Chakwal.|
| Recommended varieties of pulses crops for Pothowar region are as under:
|What is the seed rate of different pulses?||Top|
|Generally following seed rates are recommended for Pothowar:
|Fertilizer requirements for different pulses are as under:
|Following are the good rules for getting better yields:
|Weedicides which are commonly used are Buctril–M (For broad leaves) & Puma Supper (For narrow leaves).|
|Not all, but many types of fruit plants like olive, citrus, grapes, peach, apricot, pear, plum, apple, loquat and almond can successfully be cultivated over here. Only the varieties recommended for this area should be planted.|
|Deciduous plants like peach and grapes are planted from mid January to mid February. Ever green plants like citrus and olive can be planted either during spring season (February/March) or during August / September. Layout of orchard and pit digging must be done two month before the actual plantation|
|Fruit plants should be obtained from a government nursery or from a reliable source. Never purchase the plants of unknown variety. True to type plants can be obtained from Barani Agricultural Research Institute Chakwal, Orange Research Institute Sargodha and Horticultural Research Institute Faisalabad.|
|Deep rooted crops should not be planted in the orchard. Shallow rooted crops like gram, peas, masoor, mash and radish can be planted as inter crop. However, irrigation should be avoided during the flowering period of the fruit plants.|
|Splitting in fruits usually occurs when the fruits are mature in size and the skin is not expanding. If heavy rains occur, trees absorb water and force it into the fruits. The peel cannot expand, and instead splits. Splitting fruit is also associated with certain varieties.|
|It improves the soil nutrient status and ultimately the crop yield.|
The combination of nutrients like NPK & other micronutrients that fulfill crop requirements and increase crop yield.
|Urea for Nitrogen, DAP and Nitrophos for Nitrogen and Phosphorus and Potassium sulphate for potassium|
|Soil fertility refers to the strength of soil keeping in view the nutrients.|
|It helps to make better understanding of fertilizer need/requirement and its economic use for healthy and profitable crop production.|
|Soil moisture through deep ploughing, manuring and gypsum applications.|
|There are different reasons of flower drop:
|Flowers may drop before fruit setting due to one or a combination of different reasons like late spring frost, low soil fertility and improper irrigation.|
| There may be different reasons of fruit drop:
|What are the moisture conservation methods in Barani areas?||Top|
|Deep ploughing, Ramhart and deep ploughing with FYM and compost application.|
|What is the best time of fertilizer application in Barani areas?||Top|
|Fertilizer is applied at the time of sowing.|
|What are new crops for Barani areas?||Top|
|Quinoa and Camelina (Healy drought Resistance) are new crops for Barani areas.|
|What is the best time sowing of wheat crop in Barani area?||Top|
|Mid-October to mid-November|
|Is there new variety of wheat for Barani areas?||Top|
|Ahsan-2016 is new variety|
|What is the best method of sowing of crops in Barani areas?||Top|
|Drill sowing is the best method of sowing|
|What is the best time of sowing of gram in Barani areas?||Top|
|Mid-September to mid-October is the best time of sowing of gram in Barani areas.|
|What is the best time of fertilizer application of any crop in Barani areas?||Top|
|At the time of sowing is the best time of fertilizer application of any crop in Baran|
|What are recommended new varities of groundnut?||Top|
|BARI-2011 and BARI-2016.|
|What is the potential and average yield of recommended varities?||Top|
|Potential yield 40 monds/acre and average yield 20 monds/acre.|
|What is the seed rate of groundnut crop?||Top|
|70 kg pods or 40 kg groundnut grains per acre.|
|Which soil is suitable for groundnut cultivation?||Top|
|Sandy and loamy sand soils.|
|What is the best time for sowing?||Top|
|Last week of march to end to may depending upon the availability of the moisture.|
|What is the recommended depth of seed, plant to plant and row to row distance?||Top|
|Seed depth 5-7 cm, plant to plant distance 15-20cm and row to row distance 45cm.|
|What is recommended fertilizer doses?||Top|
|½ bag urea + 3.5 SSP + ½ bag potassium sulphate.|
|When gypsum should be applied?||Top|
|At flowering stage means after 15th July 200kg/acre or 25 kg/kanal.|
|What is the remedy of hairy caterpillar?||Top|
|Pyrithride group of insecticide should be used.|
|Which weedicides are best for groundnut?||Top|
|Manual hoeing + use of chemical with the consultation of agri. Experts.|
|How land should be prepared for wheat sowing ?||Top|
|At the onset of monsoon perform a deep ploughing to conserve moisture in the soil. At the time of sowing, two ploughings with plankings is done for fine preparation of land.|
|What is optimum time of sowing for rainfed wheat?||Top|
|Best time for sowing in Barani areas is from 25th October to 20th November.|
|What is best method of sowing for rainfed wheat?||Top|
|Sowing should be done using Rabi Drill keeping row to row distance 9 inches maintaining depth of 1.5 to 2 inches.|
|What is optimum seed rate for rainfed wheat cultivation?||Top|
|50Kg/acre seed rate is recommended for Barani areas. However, for high tillering varieties like Chakwal-50, the seed rate rate should be reduced upto 5 kg.|
|What are recommended wheat varities in rainfed area of Punjab?||Top|
|Ihsan-2016, Fatehjang-2016, Dharabi-11, Chakwal-50 and BARS-09|
|How we can save from Kernal Bunt or other seed borne diseases?||Top|
|Seed treatment is necessary for prevention of seed borne diseases. Proper fungicide at the rate of 2g per kg is applied.|
|What are possible measures to eradicate weeds from wheat field?||Top|
|Weeds compete with the main crop for nutrition, space and water. It may cause losses from 15 to 45 %. For eradication of weeds chemical and non-chemical methods ( Hoeing, Bar-harrow, Daab Method) are applied in Barani areas.|
|What are wheat diseases and their control?||Top|
Wheat Diseases and their Control: The main diseases of wheat are Leaf rust, Yellow Rust and Loose smut in Barani areas. Detail is given as under:
Stripe Rust (Yellow Rust) Puccinia striiformis Westend f. sp. tritici
Loose Smut (Ustilago tritici (Pers.) Rostr.)